Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Cleugh Castle - Part V - The Australian Native Garden

Our dog Abby stands in the 'Australian' garden of our new home. The old gate is a sculpture that the previous owners kindly left for me as it reminds me of our acreage properties and I can see it from the kitchen window. I also have lots of other old 'rustic artifacts' which I love having around the place. Hubby calls them 'rusty junk'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Abby's new outdoor retreat
A birthday gift for me from my beloved friend Daisymum. It's an Australian native plant Phoenix 'Ptilotus exaltatus' or its common names 'Pink mulla mulla' or 'lamb's tail'. I've planted it at the base of a grevillea and have some old timber as a bit of protection for the young plant. The flowers are soft and feathery and show through spring to autumn. Frost and drought tolerant, originating from the deserts of Western Australia, they are said to be almost indesctructible and will encourage fauna to visit your garden. Can't wait for mine to flower in Spring. This gum is a massive part of the garden and houses a swing. Can't help myself have to have a go on it now and then.
A believe this 'woolly' bush is also a native of Western Australia.
All of my Australian native gardens have provided bright colour throughout the year and can pick up your spirits on a gloomy day. I was very happy to find many native plants in the gardens at our new home and can't wait for them to flower. The flowers are always unique and make great arrangements in the house (if I can bear to take them away from the plant).
The grevilleas and gums attract the birds with their honey which sometimes litterally drips from the flowers and their dense and tangled foliage provides a haven for smaller birds like wrens and sparrows. I have seen parrots and cockatoos around here so I am hoping that they will visit my native garden in the warmer months.
Eucalyptus leucoxylon 'Pink' (Pink-flowering yellow gum). The pink flowers are borne from winter to spring. It prefers a sunny spot with well drained soil (obviously the sandy soil here makes it happy). This pretty gum can tolerate temperatures down to minus 15 deg C (5 deg F). More vistas of the big gum at the front of the house

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW what goregeous camellias!!! And I love the way Abby's new home fits in and how at home she looks in the garden. Can't wait to fidn out what the blossoms bring!!!

    I miss you so much been a hell of a week at work adn next week we have the auditors in fun fun fun.

    Say hi to Liz for me and I know you will be right this week with a full house full of people.

    Off to find a weekend getaway that is chepa for DH and I soon feel the need to get away to gether.

    Love you and miss you

    daisymum

    ReplyDelete