Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Cleugh Castle - Part VI - Blooming Winter!

I don't like winter all that much, but the flowers are nice!
Camellias
Most of the camellia trees are quite old and large. I can see them being a major influence in a Japanese Garden I am planning for the back of the house. There already exists is a small pond and some black bamboo as well as an old chinese lantern (abutilon) shrub and some Japanese iris
There are some old wooden steps which have a lot of moss on them and they also contribute to the theme.
My next door neighbour has told me that one of the big trees in the corner of this area is an ornamental cherry tree. I hope he's right.
My plantings so far have been very limited, due to winter and my only additions to the Japanese theme so far are some clumps of bright red Japanese blood grass framed by short thick black mondo grass. I like the strong colour combo.
These are 'I don't know what they are yet' Blossoms! Coming from the warm and tropical climate of South-East Queensland to Victoria will open up a whole new garden world for me. We couldn't grow stonefruit successfully as it would never get cold enough to set the fruit and the blossoms were very few and far between. If there was fruit it was very small and never ripened. I look forward to finding out what the product of these beautiful blossoms will be.
This lemon tree has been merrily fruiting away, so I need to collect and store the juice and probably make lots of lemony things ... just have to get myself motivated.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there
    You are going to enjoy gardening in Victoria
    Those plants are called:
    'Chaenomeles japonica also known as Japanese quince'
    Flower on the bare branches and can grow to quite a tall and wide bush - watch out for the thorns lol
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy, I did notice the thorns "the hard way" lol - are the fruits edible or best left for the birds. Thanks for looking

    ReplyDelete